Sunday, February 13, 2011

What is art which doesn't have any intended emotion?

This question was posed by Natalie Pozzetti.

Personally, I think that all art conveys some sort of emotion.  The artist may or may not intend to instill a specific emotion in those experiencing the art, but all real art stems from emotion.  Say for example that I created an abstract painting, consisting of swirling, curving lines in various shades of green.  When I painted this, I was feeling refreshed, although I want to know what others get out of it.  Someone looking at the painting might feel a sense of curiosity.  Someone else might see hope.  Although I created the painting while feeling "refreshed," I didn't necessarily want everyone who looked at the painting to feel the same way.  I think it's okay to make art that is open to interpretation.


Question: What do you think about the role of religious art?

No comments:

Post a Comment